Epson Stylus Pro 4900 Advanced Photographic Printer Features and Benefits
Designed to redefine the standard for photographic print quality, the Epson Stylus Pro 4900 incorporates our latest achievements in professional-level ink jet technology. By combining the precision of our MicroPiezo® TFP® print head with the extraordinary performance of Epson UltraChrome® HDR Ink, our newest generation of Epson Stylus Pro printers continue to represent a level of technology unprecedented in Epson's history.
Epson UltraChrome® HDR Ink Technology
- Unique High Dynamic Range (HDR) pigments for an extremely wide color gamut
- Ten-color printing system including all-new Orange and Green inks
- Certified by PANTONE® to cover 98% of the Formula Guide Solid Coated*
- Designed to work with Epson AccuPhoto HDR screening technology
- Professional print permanence ratings
- Outstanding short-term color stability for mission-critical proofing applications
- Improved Microcrystal Encapsulation™ Technology for reduced gloss differential
- Exceptional black density up to 2.6 with an L* value ~3.0**
* When printing on Epson Proofing Paper White Semimatte with the standard Epson driver at 2,880 x 1,440 dpi. PANTONE coverage may vary when printed with a 3rd party RIP.
** Dmax and L* values are based on Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)
High-Precision Ten-Channel Epson MicroPiezo TFP Print Head
- Thin Film Piezo (TFP) print head design capable of handling ten separate ink channels
- One-inch wide, high performance print head with 360 nozzles per channel
- Auto-sharing black ink channel technology
- Low vibration meniscus control for highly accurate dot shape and placement
- Ink repelling coating for dramatically reduced nozzle clogging
- Produces variable-sized droplets as small as 3.5 picoliters to greatly decrease print times while optimizing photographic quality
AccuPhoto™ HDR Screening Technology
- Advanced screening algorithm resulting in prints with superior color and clarity
- Maximum resolution of 2880 x 1440 dpi for incredibly sharp text and line art
- Extremely accurate blends and photographic transitions
- Advanced ten-color screening algorithm resulting in prints with superior color and clarity
- Maximum resolution of 2880 x 1440 dpi for incredibly sharp text and line art
- Produces extremely fine blends and photographic transitions
- Extremely accurate highlight-to-shadow details
- No visible photographic graininess due to the printing process*
- Ensures consistent color balance regardless of the viewing light source
- When combined with the precise dot placement accuracy of the Epson MicroPiezo TFP print head, overall photographic print quality is dramatically improved
* Photographic graininess could still be visible if present in the actual file being printed
In order to ensure consistent printing between multiple Epson Stylus Pro printers of the same model, Epson has refined the manufacturing process to include colorimetric calibration. Eliminating the need for internal calibration devices, this system evaluates and adjusts each printer's performance at the manufacturing stage, ensuring consistent color output from printer to printer and print to print.
Automatic Print Head Alignment
- Built-in sensor performs highly precise alignments of all color channels
- Aligns both uni-directional and bi-directional print modes
Automatic Nozzle Verification and Cleaning
- Embedded sensors quickly verify nozzle status without using media and automatically cleans the print head if required
- User configurable to meet your specific nozzle verification requirements
Three-Level Black Ink Technology
- Simultaneously uses Black, Light Black, and Light Light Black inks
- Significantly improves the gray balance while eliminating color casts
- Outstanding highlight-to-shadow grayscale accuracy for a smoother tonal range
- Extremely reduced color inconstancy ensuring uniform color under any lighting condition
- Virtually eliminates any bronzing of basic pigment chemistry
- Enhances the ICC profiling process for ColorSync® and ICM™ workflows
Automatic Black Ink Mode Switching
- Both Photo and Matte Black ink cartridges are installed simultaneously
- Depending upon your media type or driver setting, the printer will automatically switch
- Switching can occur automatically or provide a warning before proceeding
- Highly-efficient print head design ensures fast switching with minimal ink usage
- Automatically ensures optimum black ink density, regardless of media type used
Professional Media Handling
- Compatible with virtually any media type, in roll or cut sheet, from letter up to 17" wide
- Built-in high capacity paper tray handling up to 250 sheets of plain paper, or up to 100 sheets of premium paper up to 17" x 24"
- Automatic switching between front high capacity paper tray and roll media feeder
- Four built-in media paths including roll feed, front paper tray, front-top manual feeder, and a straight-through, front manual feeder capable of handling cut-sheet up to 1.5 mm thick
- Printer and driver based media identification and synchronization system for virtually error-free media use
ePlaten™ Roll Media Loading Technology
- Accurate media loading, movement, skew adjustment, and tracking
- Roll media spindle accepts either 2- or 3-inch media cores
- Electronically controlled roll media back tension
- Automatic roll media rewind upon media release
Roll Media Length Tracking and Identification System
- Realtime automatic remaining roll media length counter
- Auto bar code tagging of remaining roll media information for faster reloading
- Very useful for tracking partially used media rolls
High Performance Rotary Cutting System
- Durable rotary cutter, designed to be virtually maintenance free
- High performance cutting speeds - cuts 17" wide rolls in seconds
- Off-carriage cutting system eliminates media dust within critical components
- Capable of cutting virtually any roll media type, including most canvas and fine art papers
True BorderFree® Roll-Based Printing
- Capable of printing off both left and right edges of roll based media, while automatically cutting top and bottom edges to create a full-bleed print
- Fully trims your photographic prints faster and safer than by hand
High Performance Print Engine Speeds
Utilizing our latest print head technology, the Epson Stylus Pro 4900 is quite possibly the fastest professional desktop printers in the industry. Check out these numbers:
||8 x 10
||11 x 14
||16 x 20
|Fine - 720 dpi HS*
|SuperFine - 1440 dpi HS*
|SuperPhoto - 2880 dpi HS*
*HS = High-Speed Print Mode (Bi-directional Print Mode) | Print speeds are shown in min:sec
Epson Intelligent High-Capacity Ink System
- Newly-designed ink cartridge technology ensures reliable ink delivery at all print speeds, while dramatically reducing the physical size of the ink cartridges
- Eleven individual ink cartridges available in 200 ml fill capacities
- On-the-fly ink cartridge replacement for increased productivity
Easy-to-Use Front Control Panel
- High-resolution 2.5-inch color LCD for improved viewing of printer status
- Simple button layout for all navigation and basic printer functions
- All-new 'Ink' button to quickly access key actions such as Cleaning or Nozzle Verification
- Built-in printer warning lamp for easy identification across a large space
- Optional 17-inch wide spectrophotometer developed jointly with X-Rite®
- Simple installation - fits cleanly into the front of the Epson Stylus Pro 4900
- Supports color measurements printed on either roll or cut-sheet media (Note: Cut sheets requires a minimum of 6.8" of media on trialing edge from last row of data patches being read.)
- Incorporates a high performance X-Rite ILS20 spectrophotometer for extreme measurement accuracy below 0.2 dE CMC
- UV-cut and non-UV-cut versions available at the time of purchase
- Both black and white interchangeable backing plates included
- Built-in print dryer to accelerate the dry-down and reading process
- Built-in temperature sensors for internal mechanism and surrounding environment
- When driven by the latest front-end RIP software, the Epson SpectroProofer can automate virtually any color management process in your workflow
- Standard ports include one high speed USB 2.0 and one 10/100 BaseT Ethernet
- Standard professional Epson drivers for Macintosh® and Windows®
- Fully supported by most leading third-party software RIPs and workflows
New Quiet and More Power Efficient Design
- Significantly reduced noise while printing making it ideal for home office or studio use
- Virtually silent when powered 'On' and idle - less than 6.1 dB(A)
- Fully EnergyStar® Compliant - uses only about 8.5 watts while in sleep mode
- User controlled sleep and power management system for maximum efficiency
World-Class Service and Support
- Includes one year of limited warranty coverage under the Epson Preferred Protection Plan with toll-free telephone support available Monday through Friday and usually next-business day exchange service.
- Optional one- or two-year Epson Preferred Plus service plans available
EFI® eXpress for Epson included with Designer Edition Bundles
- Easy-to-Use intuitive interface saves time and produces accurate output.
- Print directly from the latest creative design software, or drag-and-drop files to a hot folder.
- True Adobe® PDF and Postscript 3 print engine ensures compatibility with your design files.
- Professional ICC color management, based on BestColor technology used in the commercial EFI Colorproof XF RIP offered with the Epson Proofing Edition Series.
- Handles both CMYK data for accurate proofing to industry standards, and RGB data for exceptional results with Photography and Fine Art.
- Reproduces accurate spot colors with the included PANTONE, DIC, HKS, and TOYO libraries.
- True cross platform network printing via hot folder or eXpress Virtual Print technology.
- Software supported on both Macintosh OS X and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Includes Epson media support out of the box, and the ability to add custom media types.
*Note: EFI eXpress does not support spectrophotometers, including Epson's SpectroProofer.