Why can’t I start EPSON Scan?
Try the following:
- Make sure the scanner is turned on.
- Turn off the scanner and computer, then check the interface cable connection between them to make sure it is secure.
- Use the USB cable that came with your scanner or another as described in the USB Interface.
- Connect the scanner directly to the computer’s USB port or through one USB hub only. The scanner may not work properly when connected to the computer through more than one USB hub.
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum System Requirements.
- Make sure your computer supports USB.
- If you are using any TWAIN-compliant program, such as ScanSoft PaperPort, make sure that the correct scanner is selected as the Scanner or Source setting.
- If you upgraded your computer’s operating system, you need to reinstall Epson Scan. Uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Scanning Software, then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
- The scanner may not work properly if Epson Scan is open and your computer goes into standby mode (Windows) or sleep mode (Mac OS X). Restart Epson Scan and try scanning again.
- Make sure the Epson Scan settings utility is set for the correct connection, either Local (USB or SCSI) or Network (Image express card).
For Windows only:
- If you are using the SCSI interface, check the following:
- Make sure the scanner’s SCSI ID and terminator are set correctly. See Setting Up the SCSI Interface for details on making these settings. If you have other expansion boards in your computer, make sure that their interrupt settings are not interfering with your SCSI board.
- Make sure the SCSI cable meets the requirements of the SCSI board in your computer. Refer to the documentation that comes with the interface board.
- Make sure the SCSI board in your computer is installed correctly.
- Change the scanner’s SCSI ID number to one that is not being used by any other SCSI device.
- Check the SCSI connection sequence and make sure the terminator switch of the end device on the daisy chain is set correctly.
- Make sure your scanner’s name appears under Imaging devices without a (?) or an exclamation (!) mark in the Device Manager window. If the scanner’s name appears with one of these marks or as an Unknown device, uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Scanning Software, then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
Also, see You cannot Start Epson Scan
in the User’s Guide.
Published: May 6, 2008
Thank you for your feedback.
Return to Main FAQs Page