You can scan a document and convert the text into data that you can edit with a word processing program, using a process called OCR (Optical Character Recognition). To scan and use OCR, you need to use an OCR program, such as ABBYY FineReader Sprint Plus.
OCR software cannot recognize handwritten characters, and certain types of documents or text may be difficult for OCR software to recognize, such as:
- Items that have been copied from other copies
- Text with tightly spaced characters or line pitch
Text that is in tables or underlined
- Cursive or italic fonts, and font sizes less than 8 points
Follow these steps to scan and convert text using ABBYY FineReader.
- Place your original document(s) on the scanner glass or in the Automatic Document Feeder.
- Do one of the following to start ABBYY FineReader:
Windows: Click Start or††> Programs or All Programs > ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint > ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint.
Mac OS X: Open the Applications > ABBYY FineReader 5 Sprint Plus folders and select the Launch FineReader 5 Sprint icon.
- Once the ABBYY FineReader window opens, click the Scan&Read icon at the top of the window. Epson Scan starts in the last mode you used.
Note: For Macintosh OS X users: If you donít see the Scan&Read icon, choose Select Scanner from the Scan&Read menu, select your Epson product name, and click OK.
- In Office Mode, select Auto Detect, ADF, or Document Table as the Document Source. Then select Color or Black&White as the Image Type and select 300 dpi as the Resolution. Preview and adjust the scan area, if necessary, then click Scan.
- In Home Mode, select Magazine, Newspaper, or Text/Line Art as the Document Type. Then select Black&White or Color as the Image Type, and choose Printer or Other as your Destination setting. Preview and adjust the scan area, if necessary, then click Scan.
- In Professional Mode, select Reflective as the Document Type, Document Table as the Document Source, and Document as the Auto Exposure Type. Then select Black&White or 24-bit Color as the Image Type, and 300 dpi as the Resolution. Preview and adjust the scan area, if necessary, then click Scan.
Your document is scanned, processed into editable text, and opened in the ABBYY FineReader window.
Note: If the characters in your text are not recognized very well, you can improve recognition by adjusting the Threshold setting in Epson Scan.
4. Follow the instructions in ABBYY FineReader Help to edit and save your document.