How do I replace an ink cartridge when an ink low or out condition occurs?
You can monitor the remaining ink levels and view on-screen instructions for replacing a low or empty ink cartridge using the EPSON Status Monitor3 (for Windows) or EPSON Status Monitor (for Macintosh). When an ink cartridge is low or empty, click the How to button in the EPSON Status Monitor window. Follow the on-screen instructions to replace the cartridge.
To replace an ink cartridge using the ink button, follow the steps below.
1. Make sure that the printer is on. The power light should be on, but not flashing.
2. Lower the output tray, then open the printer cover.
3. Press the ink button momentarily (the print head cleaning command will be initiated if the ink button is pressed for more than three seconds). The print head moves to the ink cartridge replacement position, the power light begins to flash, and the ink out light corresponding to the ink cartridge that needs to be replaced begins to flash or remains on.
4. Open the cartridge cover. Pinch the sides of the ink cartridge that you want to replace. Lift the cartridge out of the printer and dispose of it properly.
Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
5. Shake the new ink cartridge four or five times before opening the package. Do not shake the ink cartridge after removing from the bag; this can cause leakage.
6. Remove the new ink cartridge from its protective bag. Place the ink cartridge vertically into the cartridge holder. Then, push the ink cartridge down until it clicks into place. Do not apply excessive force to the cartridge.
Caution: Be careful not to break the hooks that are on the side of the ink cartridge when you remove it from the package. Do not remove or tear the label on the cartridge; otherwise, ink will leak. Do not touch the green IC chip on the side of the cartridge. This can damage the ink cartridge.
If an ink cartridge should be removed temporarily from the printer, be sure to protect the ink supply area of the ink cartridge from dirt and dust. Store the ink cartridge in the same environment as the printer. When storing the cartridge, be sure that the label that identifies the color of the ink cartridge is displayed on the top of the cartridge. The valve in the ink supply port is designed to contain any excess ink that may be released. However, careful handling is recommended. Do not touch the supply port of the ink cartridge or its surrounding area.
Be sure to always install an ink cartridge into the printer immediately following the removal of an old ink cartridge. Failure to promptly install the ink cartridge may cause the print head to dry out and render it unable to function properly. When you are finished replacing the cartridge, close the cartridge cover and the printer cover.
Press the ink button. The printer moves the print head and begins charging the ink delivery system. The ink lights start flashing. This process takes about one minute to complete. When the ink charging process is finished, the printer returns the print head to its home position. The power light will stop flashing and remain on, and the ink out light will turn off. The power light will continue to flash while the printer is charging ink. Never turn off the printer while this light is flashing.
If the ink end error occurs after the print head moves to its home position, the ink cartridge may not be installed properly. Press the ink button again, and reinstall the ink cartridge until it clicks into place.