How do I replace an ink cartridge when the ink out light is flashing or on?
Follow the steps below to replace an ink cartridge:
1. Make sure the printer is on but not printing. The power light should be on but not flashing.
2. Lower the output tray and open the printer cover.
3. Press the Ink button. The print head moves to the left, and the cartridge that needs to be replaced stops under the ink-out mark.
The power light also begins to flash.
4. Press the Ink button again. If more than one ink cartridge is empty, the next cartridge moves under the ink-out mark. This happens for every ink cartridge that needs to be replaced. After all the empty cartridges have been identified, the print head moves to the ink cartridge replacement position.
To avoid damaging the printer, never move the print head by hand. Don't press the Ink button for more than three seconds, or the printer will start to clean the print head.
5. Pinch the front and back tabs of the empty cartridge as you lift it out of the printer. Don't take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
6. Before you remove the new cartridge from its package shake it four or five times.
7. Remove the cartridge from its package and lower it into the cartridge holder. Push down gently until the cartridge clicks into place.
8. Repeat steps 5 through 7 for each cartridge that you need to replace.
If ink gets on your hands, wash them thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water.
9. Close the printer cover and press the Ink button. The printer moves the print head and begins charging the ink delivery system. The power light flashes and the printer makes noise. Charging takes about one minute. When it's finished, the power light stops flashing and stays on. Never turn off the printer while the power light is flashing, unless the printer hasn't moved or made noise for more than 5 minutes.