How do I tell what scanning resolution to use for the best results?
Here are some recommended settings for different types of scans.
- Image type Recommended Scanning resolution
- Image Type For printing
- Photograph Color Photo 300 dpi
- Small photograph to
- be enlarged Color Photo 300-3200 dpi
- Magazine Color Photo 300 dpi
- Newspaper (text only) Text (Background Removal) 400 dpi
- Text for OCR Text (Background Removal) 400 dpi
- Text with images Color Document 400 dpi
- 35 mm film (negative) TPU for neg. Film 300-3200 dpi
- 4 x 5 or Brownie film (negative) TPU for neg. Film 300-3200 dpi
- 35 mm slide or
- 4 x 5 transparency TPU for pos.Film 300-3200 dpi
1. If your final file is for on-screen viewing (for example, on a web page or in an e-mail message), select 72 dpi for your resolution.
2. If you are enlarging your image, you must manually increase the resolution (dpi) proportionally to maintain the resolution of your original.