What can I do about paper feed problems?
If paper is jammed, see The Paper Jams
. For other types of paper-feed problems, see the solutions below.
Paper Does Not Feed
Remove the stack of paper and make sure of the following:
Multiple Pages Feed
- The paper is not curled or creased.
- The paper is not too old. See the instructions that came with the paper for more information.
- The paper fits under the arrow mark inside the edge guide.
- Avoid using coated color-laser paper, which can lead to unsatisfactory results.
- The number of sheets in the paper stack does not exceed the limit specified for the media. See Paper Loading Capacities.
- Paper is not jammed inside the printer. If it is, remove the jammed paper. See The Paper Jams.
- You have followed all special loading instructions that came with your paper. Load the paper again. See Loading Paper.
Paper is Improperly Loaded
- Make sure the paper stack fits under the arrow mark inside the edge guide.
- Make sure the left edge guide is snug against the left edge of the paper.
- Make sure the paper is not curled or folded. If so, flatten it or curl it slightly toward the opposite side before loading.
- Remove the stack of paper and make sure that the paper is not too thin. See Paper.
- Fan the edges of the stack to separate the sheets, then reload the paper.
If too many copies of a file are being printed, check the number of copies selected in your printer driver as follows:
For Windows, check the Copies setting on the Page Layout window.
For Mac OS X 10.4, check the Copies setting in the Copies & Pages setting in the Print dialog box.
For Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6, check the Copies setting in the Print dialog box.
Also check the number of copies selected in your application.
If you have loaded the paper too far into the printer, the printer cannot feed the paper correctly. Turn off the printer and gently remove the paper. Then turn on the printer and reload the paper correctly.
Paper is not Ejected Fully or is Wrinkled
- Clear the jammed paper as explained in The Paper Jams. Also check the Paper Size setting in your application or printer settings.
If the paper is wrinkled when it comes out, it may be damp or too thin. Load a new stack of paper.
Note: Store any unused paper in its original packaging in a dry area.
Published: March 17, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.
Return to Main FAQs Page