Why can't I start Epson Scan?
Try the following:
- Wait until the green status light stops flashing to indicate that the scanner is ready to scan.
- Make sure the scanner is turned on.
- Turn off the scanner and computer, then check the interface cable connection between them to make sure it is secure.
- Use the USB cable that came with your scanner or another as described in the USB Interface. Note: A USB cable is not bundled with the scanner in some areas.
- Connect the scanner directly to the computer's USB port or through one USB hub only. The scanner may not work properly when connected to the computer through more than one USB hub.
- Make sure your computer supports USB. See Checking For Windows USB Support for instructions.
- Make sure you select the correct scanner when starting to scan.
- For Windows: When you start Epson Scan using the Start button or the EPSON Scan icon, and the Select Scanner list is displayed, make sure you select the model of your scanner.
- For Mac OS X: When you start Epson Scan from the Epson Software folder in the Applications folder and the Select Scanner list is displayed, make sure you select your scanner model.
- If you are using any TWAIN-compliant program, such as ArcSoft MediaImpression, make sure that the correct scanner is selected as the Scanner or Source setting.
- If you are using any TWAIN-compliant application, the error may be occurring because the TWAIN-compliant application is currently unstable. Try using a different TWAIN-compliant application. If the problem persists, try restarting the computer.
- If you upgraded your computer's operating system, you need to reinstall Epson Scan. Uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Scanning Software, then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
- The scanner may not work properly if Epson Scan is open and your computer goes into standby mode (Windows) or sleep mode (Mac OS X). Restart Epson Scan and try scanning again.
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum System Requirements.
- For Windows only: Make sure your scanner's name appears under Imaging devices without a (?) or an exclamation (!) mark in the Device Manager window. If the scanner's name appears with one of these marks or as an Unknown device, uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Scanning Software, then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
Published: June 2, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.
Return to Main FAQs Page