What should I do if I'm having paper feed problems?
The solution for a paper problem depends on whether you are using the sheet feeder or the Automatic Document Feeder. See the solutions below.
Paper Feeding Problems
Paper Jam Problems Inside the Product
- If paper doesn’t feed, remove it from the sheet feeder. Fan it, then stack and align the edges. Reload it against the right side, behind the tab, then squeeze the left edge guide and slide it against the paper. Make sure the paper is not above the arrow mark inside the left edge guide. Make sure the paper support extensions are fully extended
- If multiple pages feed at once, remove the paper, fan the edges to separate the sheets, and reload it.
- Do not load more than the recommended number of sheets.
- If paper jams when you print on both sides of the paper, try loading fewer sheets.
- For best results, follow these guidelines:
- Use new, smooth, high-quality paper that is not curled, creased, old, too thin, or too thick.
- Do not load paper with holes punched in it.
- Follow any special loading instructions that came with the paper.
If you see a message that paper has jammed inside the product, try these solutions:
Paper Jams in the Automatic Document Feeder
- Cancel the print job from your computer, if necessary.
- Gently pull out any jammed paper from the output tray or sheet feeder
- If paper is stuck inside, turn off the product.
- Lift up the scanner unit, remove the jammed paper and torn pieces, lower the scanner unit, and turn the product back on.
- Carefully follow all paper loading instructions when you load new paper.
If you're loading legal-size paper, insert only 10 sheets at a time to prevent paper feeding problems. If the LCD screen indicates that a paper jam has occurred, press OK
and follow the instructions below:
- Open the ADF cover and remove any jammed paper.
Caution: Open the ADF cover before removing paper, or you could damage the mechanism.
- Lift up the scanner unit, remove any jammed paper, then lower the scanner unit.
- Close the ADF cover and reload the paper. Make sure the corners of the paper are not bent, folded, or curled up.
- The message on the LCD screen asks if paper has been removed. Press 1 to clear the message.
Published: October 27, 2011
Thank you for your feedback.
Return to Main FAQs Page