How do I change the default print settings when printing from my computer?
When you change your print settings from within a program, the changes apply only while you're printing at that time in the open program. If you want to select different settings to use in all your programs, you can change the default print settings in Windows or save a preset of printer options on Mac. Follow the steps below for your operating system.
Mac OS X
Right-click the printer icon in the task bar (bottom-right corner of your screen), and select Printer Settings.
If you don't see the icon, see No Printer Icon Appears in Windows Taskbar for instructions on making it appear or do one of the following:
Windows 7: Click and select Devices and Printers.
Windows Vista: Click , select Control Panel, and click Printer under Hardware and Sound.
Windows XP: Click Start, and select Control Panel then select Printers and Faxes (or Printers and Other Hardware and then Printers and Faxes).
- Right-click your product name and select Printing Preferences.
- Click the Maintenance tab.
- Click the Speed & Progress button, rhen click the Monitoring Preferences button.
- Click the Shortcut Icon box. The click OK to close the open program windows.
Open a document and select Print from the File menu.
Define the print settings you want to save.
Some options may not be able to be saved in a preset.
- Click the Presets pop-up menu and select Save As.
- Enter a name for your preset, and choose whether this preset can be used with any printer or only with the currently selected printer.
- Click OK.
When you are ready to print with the preset you saved, click the Presets
pop-up menu, select your preset from the list, and click Print
. Once a preset has been selected, it will continue to be automatically selected in the print dialogue until another preset is selected. To go back to the original default print settings, select Standard
from the Presets
If you don't want to create a preset and simply want to print with the last print settings you selected, select Last Used Settings
in the Presets
Published: October 27, 2011
Return to Main FAQs Page