Why can't I start Epson Scan?
Try the following:
- Make sure the scanner is turned on.
- Turn off the scanner and computer, then check the interface cable connection between them to make sure it is secure.
- Use the USB cable that came with your scanner or another as described in the USB Interface.
- Connect the scanner directly to the computer's USB port or through one USB hub only. The scanner may not work properly when connected to the computer through more than one USB hub.
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum System Requirements.
- Make sure your computer supports USB.
- If you are using any TWAIN-compliant program, such as ScanSoft PaperPort, make sure that the correct scanner is selected as the Scanner or Source setting.
- If you upgraded your computer's operating system, you need to reinstall Epson Scan. Uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Software, then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
- The scanner may not work properly if Epson Scan is open and your computer goes into standby mode (Windows) or sleep mode (Mac OS X). Restart Epson Scan and try scanning again.
- Make sure the Epson Scan settings utility is set for the correct connection, either Local (USB) or Network (requires Network Scan Module).
For Windows only:
- If you're using Windows and the above steps did not resolve your issue make sure your scanner's name appears in your Device Manager window.
To get to the Device Manager, based on your operating system, follow the steps below:
Windows 7: Click the Start button icon and select Control Panel. Click System and then under the Control Panel Home click Device Manager.
Windows Vista: Click the Start button icon and select Control Panel. Click Device Manager.
Windows XP: Click Start and select Control Panel. Double-click the System icon, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Scroll down and double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
If USB Universal Host Controllers and USB Root Hub are listed, Windows supports USB.
Note: Make sure your scanner's name appears under Imaging devices without a (?) or an exclamation (!) mark in the Device Manager window. If the scanner's name appears with one of these marks or as an Unknown device, uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Software. Then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
- Try scanning again.
Published: November 28, 2012
Return to Main FAQs Page