Why can't I start Epson Scan?
Try the following:
For Windows only
- Make sure the scanner is turned on.
- Turn off the scanner and computer, then check the interface cable connection between them to make sure it is secure.
- Use the USB cable that came with your scanner or one that matches the specifications defined in USB Interface.
- Connect the scanner directly to the computer's USB port or through one USB hub only. The scanner may not work properly when connected to the computer through more than one USB hub.
- If you are using any TWAIN-compliant program, make sure that the correct scanner is selected as the Scanner or Source setting.
- If you upgraded your computer's operating system, you need to reinstall Epson Scan. First, uninstall Epson Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Scanning Software, then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
If you're using Windows and the above steps did not resolve your issue make sure your scanner's name appears in your Device Manager window.
To get to the Device Manager, based on your operating system, follow the steps below:
Windows 7: Click the Start button icon and select Control Panel. Click System and then under the Control Panel Home click Device Manager.
Windows Vista: Click the Start button icon and select Control Panel. Click Device Manager.
Windows XP: Click Start and select Control Panel. Double-click the System icon, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Scroll down and double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
If USB Universal Host Controllers and USB Root Hub are listed, Windows supports USB.
Note: Make sure your scanner's name appears under Imaging devices without a (?) or an exclamation (!) mark in the Device Manager window. If the scanner's name appears with one of these marks or as an Unknown device, uninstall EPSON Scan as described in Uninstalling Your Scanning Software. Then reinstall it as described on the Start Here sheet.
- Try scanning again.
Published: October 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.
Return to Main FAQs Page