I replaced an ink cartridge and my printer still shows that ink is expended. What should I do?
If you have just installed a new cartridge and you still see an ink related error, the cartridge may be incorrectly installed.
Follow these steps to make sure the cartridges are correctly installed:
- Make sure the CD/DVD tray is not inserted in the printer.
- Make sure the printer is turned on, but the green power light is not flashing.
- Open the printer cover.
- Press and release the ink button. The power light begins to flash.
Do not hold down the ink button for more than 3 seconds or the printer will start to clean the print head.
To avoid damaging the printer, never move the print head by hand.
- Open the cartridge cover.
- Press down all the ink cartridges until they click into place to make sure they are properly seated.
If a cartridge is properly seated already, you may not hear a click.
- Close the cartridge cover.
- Close the printer cover.
- Press the ink button. The printer begins charging ink.
The green power light flashes and the printer makes noise. Charging takes about two minutes. When it’s finished, the green power light stops flashing and stays on, and the red ink light goes out.
Never turn off the printer while the green power light is flashing, or you’ll waste ink.
Published: February 4, 2009
Thank you for your feedback.
Return to Main FAQs Page