What should I do if I'm having paper feed problems?
Try the solutions below.
If nothing prints, blank pages feed or pages with incorrect characters print after you've cleared a paper jam, cancel any pending print jobs
from your computer.
Paper Feeding Problems
Paper Jam Problems
- If paper does not feed for printing, remove it. Then reload it in the sheet feeder against the right side and beneath the tab. Slide the edge guide against the edge of the paper, making sure that the paper stack is not above the arrow mark on the edge guide.
- If multiple pages feed at once, remove the paper, fan the edges to separate the sheets, and reload it.
- If paper jams when you load only one or two sheets, try loading more sheets at a time. Do not load more than the recommended number of sheets.
- If paper jams when you print on both sides of the paper, try loading fewer sheets.
- For best results, follow these guidelines:
- Use new, smooth, high-quality paper that is not curled, creased, old, too thin, or too thick.
- Load paper in the sheet feeder printable side up.
- Do not load paper with holes punched in it.
- Follow any special loading instructions that came with the paper.
Paper or Media Type Settings
Paper Loading Capacity
- Cancel the print job from your computer, if necessary.
- Gently pull out any jammed paper from the output tray and sheet feeder.
- Press the start button to resume printing. If the product messages still show an error, continue with the next step.
- Press the power button to turn the product off.
- Lift up the scanner unit, and remove the jammed paper and any torn pieces.
- Lower the scanner unit and press the power button to turn the product back on.
- Carefully follow all paper loading instructions when you load new paper.
Updated: February 17, 2012
Return to Main FAQs Page