Mother’s Day is coming up fast (May 10) and you are no doubt bombarded with gift ideas from all of your favorite sites and shopping apps – from scarves and jewelry, to spa time and mimosas, to the latest gadgets and gizmos. If you haven’t bought something for mom yet, skip the store-bought gift and show her how much you care with a creative DIY keepsake
Fabulous Photo Glass Pendants
You don’t need to be an artisan to make a photo pendant, you just need a few supplies (glass tiles, jewelry bails, Diamond Glaze, twine or chain, and a printer) and a little inspiration. I get a lot of my inspiration and ideas from Pinterest, however you can personalize your pendant in so many ways – including the shape of the tile, the color and style of the photo or artwork, and the type of chain you add to the pendant. I used photos of my boys to create pendant necklaces for my mom and mother-in-law as Mother’s Day gift this year.
Once you select your glass pendant style (I went with a square), it’s just a few easy steps:
- Select the photo or artwork you’d like to use – photos of grandchildren, pattern with text, or a restored photo from the past – and resize the image to approximate size of glass tile. When you’re ready, print the image.
- Lay your glass tile over the print and cut with a craft knife to the edges of the tile.
- Apply diamond glaze over the entire flat portion of the glass pendant. Once your pendant is covered, place it on top of the printed design and let dry for an hour.
- Use craft scissors to carefully trim away any excess paper. After you have your paper shaped to the tile, place another coat of the diamond glaze on the back of the pendant and let dry for an hour.
- Place a small spot of an industrial adhesive, like E6000, onto the bail, and then attach to the pendant in the top middle of the tile. Allow to dry for another 30 minutes.
Once the jewelry bail has dried, you can attach a chain, ribbon, twine, or leather cord to personalize your pendant and you’ve created a DIY memento for mom to wear for just about any occasion.